Want to learn more about honey bees? Bookmark this page for regular updates.
- Basic Beekeeping - Information about bees and beekeeping.
- The Ultimate Guide to Beekeeping website. A bee keeping guide covering 9 sections including; The history of bee keeping, An introduction to beekeeping, Choosing and setting up a beehive, How to start bee keeping, Collecting honey from your beehive, Storing and selling honey, How to protect your beehive from pests and diseases, Local rules and regulations, Useful links
- Betterbee: Beekeepers serving beekeepers - glossary of beekeeping terms
- Bee Friendly Planting Guide for European Honeybees and Australian native pollinators by Mark Leech, Rural Industries (320 pages). This resource is helpful if you want to make your garden, community garden or farm as pollinator-friendly as possible. It covers ideas for bee-friendly plants in both urban and rural areas, includes planting guides, nectary calendars for different Australian climates, and pollinator garden design ideas. Download free PDF file (7.9Mb) here.
- Create a Bee Friendly Garden - plants that attract bees.
- Top Bar Beekeeping Australia - Top-bar hives are a style of beehive used for beekeeping. They are especially useful in areas where resources are limited, but are also increasingly popular among hobby beekeepers in industrialized nations. This Facebook page shares photos, videos, info, contacts and links relating to Top Bar Bee Keeping.
- Buzz About Bees - A wealth of information on bees - lifecycle, facts, pollination, care, removal, identification, photos, beekeeping, stings and much more.
- Beginner Beekeepers - This Facebook page is a great resource for beekeepers new and old. Follow the blog www.surreybeekeeper.co.uk and this page for all information about bumble, honey and solitary bees.
The Hidden Beauty of Pollination - Pollination: it's vital to life on Earth, but largely unseen by the human eye. Filmmaker Louie Schwartzberg shows us the intricate world of pollen and pollinators with gorgeous high-speed images from his film "Wings of Life," inspired by the vanishing of one of nature's primary pollinators, the honeybee.
Dance of the Honey Bee - Narrated by Bill McKibben, this short documentary takes a look at the determined, beautiful and vital role honey bees play in preserving life, as well as the threats bees face from a rapidly changing landscape.
Honey Bees Life Cycle - The life cycle of a honey bee is presented as an example of complete metamorphosis, the development of an insect from egg to larva, then pupa, then adult. Moths, butterflies and wasps also develop with complete metamorphosis. Some aspects of beekeeping are also discussed. A helpful resource for teaching the life cycle of insects.
Save the Bees - Honey bee deaths attributed to Colony Collapse Disorder are now linked to neonicotinoid pesticide and high-fructose corn syrup. Bees are extremely beneficial and pollinate flowers and crops. You can make a difference by buying organic, pesticide free produce from your local farmer's markets. Let farmers know that you won't buy their foods if they are laden with pesticides that are dangerous to your overall health. Make the choice. Choose organic, pesticide free!