How you can help....
There are many positive actions you can take to help:
- Avoid the use of toxic chemicals (including pesticides, herbicides and fungicides) in your garden. Use certified organic garden products and natural pest strategies instead – they are safer, more economical and environmentally friendly.
- Grow a bee-attracting garden with plants rich in nectar and pollen that bees love to feed on to encourage them to pollinate your food crops.
- Provide fresh water in a small bowl for bees to access.
- Buy local honey to support small beekeepers maintain hives and biodiversity.
- Swap your lawn for a food garden or natural bee habitat. Flowers, herbs and vegetables provide a rich source of food for bees.
- Buy organic fresh produce to support organic farmers and avoid genetically modified crops.
- Start keeping bees at home – both urban and rural environments need bees.
- Refer a friend who adopts a beehive – get a free 650ml jar of honey as a thank you.
- Spread the word and help raise awareness. Help educate others by sharing our website with others.
- Gift a beehive to a business, friend, family, work colleague, or as a wedding present.
- Host a film screening of a film about bees – see our Resources page.
- Visit “Adopt a Crop” to find out about some of the food sources affected by the bee crisis and how you can help.
- Stay informed by subscribing to our free seasonal newsletter.